WorkSafe has launched an investigation into the death of an 86-year-old man who was hit by a garbage truck last Friday while it was emptying a bin at a Mill Park fast food restaurant car park.
He was rushed to hospital with serious head injuries, and died later that night.
An 83-year-old woman also suffered head injuries from the incident, but remains in a stable condition.
WorkSafe Chief Executive Denise Cosgrove said the incident was a tragedy for the man and woman, their family and everyone else involved.
“While the investigation into the cause of the incident has just begun, it serves as a reminder of the dangers of vehicles operating close to pedestrians,” she said.
“We find that cordoning off the location during activity, having clear pedestrian pathways, using trained spotters and clear signage are just some of the ways workplaces can eliminate those dangers.“
The man’s death brings this year’s workplace toll for the year to five, compared to four this time last year.
Public enquiries: Call the WorkSafe Advisory Service on 1800 136 089 between 8:30am and 5pm Monday to Friday, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Advisory Service, PO Box 4306, Melbourne, 3001.