A second worker who was trapped in a trench collapse at a subdivision site at Delacombe, near Ballarat, has died in hospital.
The 21-year-old man was rescued from the sewer and drainage trench, which was approximately 3.2 metres deep, after it collapsed on him and a co-worker about 11am yesterday.
The co-worker, aged in his 30s, died at the scene.
WorkSafe inspectors and investigators attended the scene again today and are continuing with their inquiries.
The second worker’s death brings the number of Victorian workplace fatalities to seven for 2018, which is one more than at the same time last year.
WorkSafe Acting Executive Director Health and Safety Paul Fowler said the incident was a tragic reminder of why it was so important to ensure all necessary safety measures were in place to control the risks of working in and around trenches.
“This incident is a terrible tragedy and our thoughts are with the family and friends of both men,” Mr Fowler said.
“Trenches are an inherently dangerous work environment. They can and sometimes do collapse with catastrophic consequences, which is why it is so important that employers and contractors ensure that all necessary safety precautions are in place.”
For more information about working in and around trenches see www.worksafe.vic.gov.au
Public enquiries: Call the WorkSafe Advisory Service on 1800 136 089 between 8:30am and 5pm Monday to Friday, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Advisory Service, PO Box 4306, Melbourne, 3001.